Friday, November 7, 2008

A True Teacher

My neighbor for whom I babysat as a teenager was a true teacher for me.

I spent a lot of time at her house even when I wasn't babysitting and got to watch a young woman in action as wife, mother and neighbor. She had a fun way about her and was raising her children to be happy, fun loving but also responsible citizens of the world.

We connected with a common interest of sewing and spent many hours together cutting out and basting clothes in my case for myself and in hers, clothing for her children.

I watched her prepare delicious meals for her family and frequently got to join in eating with them.

I learned a lot about motherhood from this woman and feel I modeled myself after her.

1 comment:

Maureen Hayes said...

What a wonderful role model you had. It is a shame more young people don't babysit anymore, they are missing out on these important lessons as well as others.